About Our Parish
In the year 1919, the President of the Board of Directors launched a drive to raise funds to build a church at the corner of Caldwell and Main Streets. The first Divine Liturgy took place in the new Church in 1922 with Rev. Peter Christakos.
As the migration of Greek People increased in the City of Fitchburg shortly after the turn of the century, the need for more spiritual guidance became more prevalent. The Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church was officially consecrated on October 7th, 1962 by Bishop Gerasimos of Abydos. One of the most significant and memorable events in the history of the Hellenic Orthodox Community of Fitchburg took place in November, 1964, for the community itself was priviledged for the first time to have an official visitation of the spiritual leader of the Greek Orthodox Church of North and South America, His Eminence, Archbishop Iakovos.
In 1928, Rev. John Michaelides came to Fitchburg from Pawtucket, Rhode Island to serve the community which had grown to seventy-four families with fifty three students attending school classes. Rev. Michaelides was to serve faithfully and fruitfully as a priest and teacher for the next thirty years, during which time the community was to grow to two hundred and thirty families with one hundred and thirty-two children of all age groups attending school classes after having gone to the public schools earlier in the day.
Our Church currently serves the spiritual needs of Fitchburg, Leominster, Gardner, Athol, and the surrounding towns as the only Eastern Orthodox Church in the area.
One of the best-known prayers of the Orthodox Church speaks of the spirit of God being "present in all places and filling all things." This profound affirmation is basic to Orthodoxy's understanding of God and His relationship to the world. Learn more»